Thursday, August 21, 2008

Walking

At Ivyhaus, we walked down the driveway to the mailbox (about a quarter of a mile),across the bridge, up the hill to the church, back down the hill, around the neighborhood, and back home. About a mile and a half. We rarely met a car, occasionally a neighbor. Only the fresh mountain air, a view of the mountains, and that wonderful bubbling creek that flows to the Little Tennessee River. This was routine nearly every day, sometimes twice a day, for several years and we loved it. It was idyllic, peaceful, refreshing. As much as I loved Ivyhaus, this walk is the only thing I've really grieved over. But, life marches on and so must I. (giggle)

It's different living in town. My goal is to find pleasant places to walk that will get me back on track. I need to walk at least 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week.

We've ventured out from time to time for festivals downtown, the gelato store or just around the neighborhood. It's fairly quiet, but a lot more traffic. The old houses and their gardens are wonderful. The shops are great.

Today Sara and I walked to the farmer's market for apple butter and came back with apple butter, honey crisp apples, and sunflowers.


I love sunflowers! Got to plant some in our yard! And lavender!

No comments: